HAVE YOU EVER BEEN CURIOUS about all the odd facts dental professionals like Dr. Michel have floating around in their heads all day? Well, it’s your lucky day! Let’s switch things up a bit and devote a post entirely to random dental facts. Sound fun?
Did you know…
- Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in a human’s body.
- Toothbrush bristles were originally made from cow hair.
- A shark goes through about 40 SETS of teeth during its lifetime.
- A person’s teeth set is unique—much like their fingerprints. Even identical twins do not have exactly the same set of teeth. Did you know that your tongue print is also unique?
- The average woman smiles about 62 times a day! A man? Only 8!
- Kids laugh around 400 times a day. Adults… just 15.
- According to the Academy of General Dentistry, the average person only brushes for 45 to 70 seconds a day. The recommended amount of time is 2-3 minutes.
- People who are right-handed typically chew their food on the right side of their mouth. Left handers? The left side.
- 50% of people consider the smile the first facial feature they notice.
- 80% of people are not happy with their smile.
- 78% of Americans have had at least one cavity by age 17.
- 32% of Americans cite bad breath as the least attractive trait of a co-worker.
- According to the recent American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry survey, 92% of Americans believe that an attractive smile is an important social asset.
Oh, and please “Like” us on Facebook too!